Chamber Music Ensembles
Strings, Piano & Guitar
Chamber music is one of the most essential and rewarding experiences of a well-rounded musical education. Chamber ensembles have 3-5 members and perform music without a conductor. Our student ensembles have a weekly coaching with a professional chamber coach. Professional chamber coaches guide the students in building skills such as group pulse, communication, the development of a blended ensemble sound, and creating an emotionally expressive performance. Students form strong musical friendships and learn about the wonderfully diverse and beautiful music written for chamber ensembles. The semester of study will culminate in a public performance on George Mason University’s Fairfax campus.
Currently available for Strings, Piano and Guitar students enrolled in private lessons at Potomac Arts Academy or another studio.
Minimum Level Requirement for String Students: ASTA grade level 3/Suzuki Book 3. Must be able to play 2 octave scales and read music with ease.
Audition materials are required!* Auditions should be recorded on video and uploaded as “Unlisted” to YouTube, and the both the link and the letter of recommendation emailed to the Chamber Coordinator, Claire Allen, at email@example.com by September 22nd (extended). Please include the following:
- Letter of Recommendation from Private Instructor
- 1 major scale of choice (2 or 3 octaves)
- 1 melodic minor scale of choice (2 or 3 octaves)
- Solo piece under 5 minutes – for String players, if playing a concerto or sonata, the exposition is enough (no accompaniment needed).
Days: Mondays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays (depending on placement after audition)**
Dates: Oct 02/03/05 – Dec 11/12/14, 2017 10 classes (see below)
Tuition: $305.00 + $10 music fee
Location: Potomac Building
**Ensemble placement will be determined by the Chamber Coordinator and communicated via email.
Fall 2017 Ensemble Groups and Times:
- Mondays, 6:00-7:00 p.m., GUITAR ONLY, Coach: Glen McCarthy
- Mondays, 8:00-9:00 p.m., STRINGS/PIANO, Coach: Claire Allen
- Tuesdays, 7:00-8:00 p.m., STRINGS/PIANO, Coach: Zachary Whitaker
- Thursdays, 7:00-8:00 p.m., STRINGS/PIANO, Coach: Zachary Whitaker
- Thursdays, 8:00-9:00 p.m., STRINGS/PIANO, Coach: Rachel McAleer
Coach: Claire Allen
Coach: Rachel McAleer
Coach: Zachary Whitaker
Coach: Glen McCarthy
SEE SOME OF OUR CHAMBER COACHES IN ACTION:
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding withdrawals, refunds and more for Fall/ Spring group classes.
- All students/parents will receive a Welcome Email at least 1 week before the class starts. Call the Academy with questions at 703-993-9889.
- Parking is free at the Academy, but you MUST display a dashboard parking pass (available at the office).