Chamber Music Ensembles
Chamber music is one of the most essential and rewarding experiences for a well-rounded musical education. Chamber ensembles have 3-5 members and perform music without a conductor. Our student ensembles will have a weekly coaching with a professional chamber coach. Student musicians will build skills such as group pulse, communication, developing a blended ensemble sound, and creating an emotionally expressive performance. The semester of study will culminate in a public performance on George Mason University’s Fairfax campus.
Currently available for Strings, Piano and Guitar students enrolled in private lessons at Potomac Arts Academy or another studio.
Minimum Level Requirement for String Students: ASTA grade level 3/Suzuki Book 3. Must be able to play 2 octave scales and read music with ease.
Audition materials are required!* Auditions should be recorded on video and uploaded as “Unlisted” to YouTube, and the both the link and the letter of recommendation emailed to the Chamber Coordinator, Claire Allen, at email@example.com at least one week before start date. Please include the following:
- Letter of Recommendation from Private Instructor
- 1 major scale of choice (2 or 3 octaves)
- 1 melodic minor scale of choice (2 or 3 octaves)
- Solo piece under 5 minutes – for String players, if playing a concerto or sonata, the exposition is enough (no accompaniment needed).
*Chamber music students continuing from the previous semester need not submit an audition video or letter of recommendation.
FALL 2017 SESSION SCHEDULE & REGISTRATION WILL OPEN BY AUGUST 1ST
Days: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (depending on placement after audition)**
Dates: February 6 – May 22, 2017, 15 weeks, see below
Tuition: $457.50 + $10 music fee
Location: Potomac Building or Mason Campus (see below)
**Ensemble placement will be determined by the Chamber Coordinator and communicated via email.
2017 Ensemble Groups and Times:
- Mondays, 7:00-8:00 p.m., Feb 6 – May 22, Potomac Building, Coach: Claire Allen (no class April 10)
- Mondays, 8:00-9:00 p.m., Feb 6 – May 22, Potomac Building, Coach: Patrick LeStrange (no class April 10)
- Tuesdays, 6:45 – 7:45 pm, Feb 10 – May 19, Potomac Building, Coach: Zachary Whitaker (no class April 11)
- Thursdays, 7:00-8:00 pm (Guitar only), Potomac Building, Coach: Chris Jenkins (no class April 13)
- Saturdays, 11:30 am – 12:30 pm, Feb 11 – May 20, Mason Campus, Coach: Harriet Vorona (no class April 15)
Coach: Claire Allen
Coach: Harriet Vorona
Coach: Zachary Whitaker
Coach: Patrick LeStrange
SEE SOME OF OUR CHAMBER COACHES IN ACTION: