INSTITUTE FOR EARLY MUSIC ON MODERN INSTRUMENTS
For Professional Violin, Viola, Cello & Bass Players and Conductors
The Institute for Early Music on Modern Instruments, presented by The Vivaldi Project, offers professional string players the opportunity to study baroque and classical performance practices using their own modern instruments. Renowned early music specialists violinist Elizabeth Field and cellist Stephanie Vial will explore the drama, passion, pathos and sheer exuberance of 17th- and 18th-century musical expressions through an investigation of:
- Bowing Techniques
- The Interpretation of Slur and "Staccato" Articulations
- Applications of Vibrato and Ornamentation
- The Principles of Phrase Structure
- Musical Grammar and Rhetoric
- Baroque Dance Rhythms and Gestures
The goal is to provide not merely a set of technical tools, but an instrumental vocabulary through which the language of this incredibly rich, varied and complex music can be conveyed effectively on modern instruments.
PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Liz Field, email@example.com
REGISTER - Institute for Early Music on Modern Instruments
- Tuition: $350 - Before registering, please email a one page resume firstname.lastname@example.org .
- PARKING* : $30 Pass (purchased during registration) or $3/hr parking deck fee
- HOUSING (optional): See all Housing Options
- MEALS: Multiple food options are available at the Johnson Center on the GMU campus - cash and cards are accepted. In addition, restaurants with grocery stores are located nearby.
- MUSIC MATERIALS : Included in tuition - Repertoire may include works by C.P.E. Bach, W.F. Bach, Biber, Corelli, Lully, Muffat and Vivaldi.
- A $3 processing fee is added to all registration transactions
* Visitors to the GMU campus must have a valid parking pass to park in Lot K. You can also park in the Mason Pond Parking Deck for $14/day. A Parking Pass is NOT needed if you are just dropping off/ picking up at the designated site (see Location page).
|HOW TO APPLY:|
Mon-Fri, 9am-7pm EST
If a registrant has to cancel participation in this program, a tuition refund (minus a $50 cancellation fee) will be given provided that notice is received by the Potomac Arts Academy no later than 2 weeks before the program start date. No refunds will be granted after this date without valid medical documentation.
HOTEL SPECIAL RATE:
Comfort Inn in Fairfax
11180 Fairfax Blvd, Fairfax, VA 22030
Special Early Music Program rate: $81/night*
(June 16 - 21 2013 only)
*Includes hot breakfast and free shuttle service to campus.
Reservations must be made by June 1, 2014.
Instructions: Call the hotel and let the agent know that you are with "Vivaldi Project" to get the special rate.
Otherwise, a list of hotel accomodations near Mason, including the only on-campus facility Mason Inn Conference Center and Hotel, can be found at
http://www.gmu.edu/welcome/hotel . Some hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the Mason campus- inquire with hotel staff.
Why choose MASON?
Join one of our outstanding summer programs and become a part of our acclaimed Mason arts community. Whether you are a teacher, student or child, you will find professionally staffed programs that enrich and inspire- all within the respected Mason setting. Our excellent faculty, world class guest artists, and brand new facilities make Mason the place to be this summer!
Care to Share?