ROLLAND STRING WORKSHOP AT MASON
For String Teachers, Players and Students
The Rolland String Pedagogy Workshop is an exciting, internationally-acclaimed program for innovative string teachers, players and students. Learn the lauded playing and teaching techniques of the late Paul Rolland. Paul Rolland (1911-1978), former Professor of Violin and String Pedagogy at University of Illinois, is recognized around the globe for his innovative approach to string teaching. He emphasized correct movement patterns and playing that is free from excessive tension. Our program builds on that legacy. (Violin, Viola, Cello & Bass covered!)
|String Teachers||Workshop||Learn the art of teaching Rolland techniques in your own studio!|
|String Players||Workshop||Learn how to apply Rolland techniques to improve your playing!|
|College Students||Workshop||Learn the Rolland techniques while enjoying a tuition discount! (must provide valid ID)|
|High School Musicians||Workshop/ HS Group||Learn the unique Rolland techniques alongside a group of serious and inspired teen musicians - receive a special tuition discount!|
|Young Kids||Youth Camp||NEW for 2014! PAUL ROLLAND STRINGS CAMP for Ages 9-12!|
View an example of the Paul Rolland technique (Students of Rolland Workshop faculty member, Nancy Kredel, performing a Rolland Action Tune - music by Mary Alice Rich):
2014 Program Highlights:
- Full program expanded over 2 summers - each summer will cover Rolland foundations, with special topics rotating every other summer.
Summer 2014 will emphasize left hand technique.
- Cello and Bass sessions with Gail Rolland and Michael Fanelli
- Opportunity for Private Tutoring/Lessons with Workshop Faculty (register and pay directly on-site at the Workshop)
- "One Day Rolland Sampler" option for non-workshop attendees - perfect for an introduction to the techniques and ideas of the Rolland method (WEDNESDAY only - see Daily Schedule for details)
- One-on-one coaching and hands-on application of techniques with students from the Paul Rolland Strings Camp in a highly academic yet comfortable setting
- Enthusiastic, collegiate-level faculty, most of whom are former students of the late Paul Rolland dedicated to carrying on his legacy
- Paul Rolland's teachings "come to life" as his work The Teaching of Action in String Playing is thoroughly explored, demonstrated, and applied
- Master classes, public lessons, and chinrest fittings
- Open to Teaching Professionals, as well as to serious High School & College level players
- NEW! PAUL ROLLAND STRINGS CAMP FOR VIOLINISTS AGES 9-12
- Flexible participation options, including "for credit" and "noncredit" registration (for Professionals and College only)
What you will gain from this program:
- Options for public school recertification points (30-33 points) and college credit (not applicable to High School students)
- A rejuvenated approach to innovative and effective string education alongside colleagues and peers
- Proven teaching tools and strategies that can translate directly into the classroom or studio
- Younger students gain new technique and broaden their understanding of their instrument
- IMPORTANT! Along with the rotating workshop programming, each summer will include new Masterclasses and evening sessions taught by different master teachers and revolving topics for evening sessions.
View a sample of the NEW Paul Rolland Legacy DVD
PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Lucy Manning, email@example.com
|I AM ALREADY REGISTERED. WHAT DO I DO NOW?|
You should expect to receive a "Welcome Email" from Potomac Arts Academy 1-2 weeks before the program begins - providing important details including directions, first day procedures, what to bring, etc. If you do not receive this email, either our email address on file is incorrect or it may be in your Spam/Junk folder. Please include us in your Address Book to avoid the latter.The Welcome Letter will also be posted here:
ROLLAND STRINGS PEDAGOGY WORKSHOP WELCOME LETTER 2014
PAUL ROLLAND STRINGS CAMP FOR AGES 9-12 WELCOME LETTER 2014
Why choose MASON?
Join one of our outstanding summer programs and become a part of our acclaimed Mason arts community. Whether you are a teacher, student or child, you will find professionally staffed programs that enrich and inspire- all within the respected Mason setting. Our excellent faculty, world class guest artists, and brand new facilities make Mason the place to be this summer!
Care to Share?